Imagine, Congress banned standard light bulbs so we would use these toxic alternatives. This is worse than I thought:
“Step one: Air out the area
As soon as that bulb breaks, you’ll want to let the room air out for about 15 minutes. Get everyone out (especially pets, who might be inclined to investigate the mess), then open the windows and shut the doors. You’ll also want to be sure and turn off your central air — the last thing you want is to circulate that mercury throughout your home. …
Step three: Pick up the pieces
You’ll be tempted to sweep everything up with a broom — but don’t. Anything that rifles through the broken bits of your bulb is going to risk mercury contamination. You’ll also want to be sure not to use your vacuum, as doing so will risk kicking mercury back up into the air.